Roblox is a great gaming platform used by millions of people to play and create games. For most people, it works pretty well, but sometimes games crash and error codes appear. One error code that seems to affect quite a few users is error code 277.
This error normally appears in a grey pop up window and reads as:
Lost connection to the game server, please reconnect. (Error Code: 277)
This error can be quite frustrating because it often happens repeatedly, rather than being a one-off event. For some users, it will also happen on every game they play, rather than just on some games as other people have reported. It can also cause users to lose data if they are disconnected while creating a Roblox game.
This article will tell you how to fix Roblox error code 277.
If you’re on mobile it’s easy
If you are on mobile this problem can usually be solved quite quickly.
- Launch the Roblox app and then run it in the background
- Go to Settings and turn on airplane mode
- Go to Wi-Fi and turn it on
- Return to your game and you should be able to play
Why do I see Roblox error code 277?
This error normally occurs when there is an issue with your connectivity to Roblox or because there is an error on the Roblox servers. It’s more common on Windows computers but can also happen on Mobile and Apple devices.
How do I solve Roblox error code 277?
If the error is caused by the Roblox servers, then you usually just have to wait for them to fix it and then reconnect yourself. Roblox will fix errors on their servers relatively quickly.
See if Roblox is down
The first thing you should do is see if Roblox is experiencing a down. There are lots of websites that you can check Roblox’s status on, such as downdetector.com. If they are down, then wait for them to fix the problem.
Check there isn’t a minor connectivity issue
Connectivity issues caused by your computer can happen for a number of reasons. Sometimes there can be a simple reason and so you should try these things first…
Restart your router and your computer
It’s worth restarting your router and your computer, to check that a minor issue with either of them is not the cause of the error code.
If your router is not working properly it may have caused a connectivity issue which resulted in Roblox error code 277. Likewise, a minor bug on your laptop could be the cause of the problem as well.
- Turn your router off at the wall and unplug it
- Wait for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and power it up
- Leave it for 5 minutes
- While you are doing this, you should also restart your computer
After, you have finished return to Roblox and try to rejoin the game you were playing. Hopefully, error code 277 does not return.
Run a virus scan
Viruses and malware can interfere with Roblox. You should regularly run virus scans anyway and so it’s worth checking that a virus or malware is not causing the problem. Run a virus scan and remove anything which might be causing the problem.
Run Roblox on a different network
If you have a different network that you can use, then try running Roblox on that network. If the program works on this alternative network, then you will know that the fault is with the previous network. If this is the case, then repair your other network rather than attempting our other fixes below.
Option #1: Use Google Chrome as your browser
Google Chrome is usually the best browser to use for Roblox. If you’re using a different browser this may be causing a connectivity issue which is resulting in error code 277.
- Open your normal browser
- Go to the Microsoft store and find Google Chrome
- Click on Download Chrome
- Click on Accept and Install and then click Save
Launch Roblox in Google Chrome and see if error 277 returns.
It is possible to use other browsers for Roblox. If you do not want to use Google Chrome, make sure that you update your chosen browser and reset the settings following the instructions below.
Option #2: Update your browser
To update Google Chrome
- Open Chrome and go to More in the top right corner
- Click on Update Google Chrome
- Allow Chrome to update and then relaunch the browser
Note: If there is no Update Google Chrome option this means that you are up to date.
Updates are usually found in the settings of your browser. This is usually located in the top right corner.
Option #3: Reset your browser settings
Resetting all of your internet browser settings will often resolve error code 277.
On Google Chrome
- Open Chrome and go to More in the top right corner
- Go to Settings
- Click on Advanced Settings
- Click on Reset Settings
- Click on Restore Settings to their Original Defaults
- Allow the process to take place
Note: This will reset your settings for your default search engine, homepage, and tabs, new tabs, tabs that you have pinned, cookies and site data, extensions and themes, and content.
On Internet Explorer
To reset Internet Explorer…
- Go to Settings
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Click on Reset
After you have reset your browser settings return to Roblox and test the program.
Option #4: Run Roblox in compatibility mode
Compatibility issues can cause connectivity problems resulting in error code 277. Windows’ built-in program compatibility settings are not always correct for Roblox. Running the program in compatibility mode will often fix error code 277.
- Find the Roblox shortcut on your desktop or search for it in My Computer
- Right-click on it and go to Properties
- Click on the Compatibility tab
- Tick the tick box next to Run this Program in Compatibility Mode
- Go to the drop-down menu and choose your version of Windows
- Click the Apply button and press enter
Changing your Roblox compatibility mode settings may resolve the issue. Return to your game and see if Roblox error code 277 returns.
Option #5: Run the program compatibility troubleshooter
If there are undetected problems with the Roblox compatibility mode settings, then the program compatibility troubleshooter may be able to find them and resolve them.
- Search for ‘Run programs’ in the Search bar
- Click on Run Programs Created for the Previous Version of Windows
- The program compatibility troubleshooter will open
- Click on Next to run this program
- The program will scan for programs that aren’t compatible with your current version of Windows
A list of programs will appear. If Roblox is on this list, then it means that it is only compatible with previous versions of Windows. This incompatibility may be the cause of Roblox error code 277. You will now need to use the troubleshooter to fix the problem.
- Click on Roblox from the list
- Select Recommended Compatibility Settings
- Run the troubleshooter
- The troubleshooter should resolve any compatibility issues
After the troubleshooter has finished, relaunch Roblox and see if error code 277 returns.
Option #6: Delete Roblox log files
Roblox log files, such as game history or custom settings can cause connectivity issues with the Roblox server. The Run dialog box can be used to delete these files. These files are not essential system files for Roblox.
- Search for Run in the search bar
- Click on Run to launch the Run dialog box
- Enter ‘%localappdata%\Roblox\logs’ and press the enter key
- Your Roblox log file folder will open
- Press Ctrl + A to select all of the files
- Press Shift + Del to delete them all
- Open the Run app again and in the box type ‘%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\RbxLogs\’ and press enter
After you have finished return to Roblox and see if error code 277 returns.
Option #7: Disable ad-blockers
Ad blockers can activate Roblox error code 277.
- Open your browser and locate Settings or Internet Options
- On most browsers, you should then look for Extensions (on Chrome go to Manage your Extensions)
- Look for the Ad Blocker section
- Click on disable ad blockers
Play Roblox again and see if error 277 returns.
Option #8: Use a wired internet connection
A poor internet connection is often the root cause of Roblox error code 277. Using a wired internet connection will ensure that you have the best connection possible.
Disable Wi-Fi on your router and run an ethernet cable from an ethernet port on your router to your computer. This will create a wired connection.
Do this and then return to the program and see if this resolves Roblox error code 277.
Option#9: Uninstall and then reinstall Roblox
Roblox may be corrupted. If Roblox has become corrupted, then the best thing to do is to uninstall and then reinstall the latest version.
- Logout of Roblox and close it
- Search for Control Panel in the Search bar
- Click on Programs
- Go to Programs and Features
- You’ll see a list of apps
- Find Roblox and right-click on it
- Choose Uninstall
After you have finished, go to the website and download and install the latest version of Roblox.
Open your new version of Roblox and return to the game you were playing before. Having a new version may fix the Roblox error code 277.
Option #10: Use third-party software
The Roblox ‘please reconnect’ error code 277 has been troubling Roblox users for some time. As a result, dedicated third party software has been created to try and resolve this issue. One such piece of software is the Roblox error 277 utility tool. This software will scan your computer for problems that are causing the 277 error and then fix them automatically.
We hope this article has been helpful and that you have been able to fix Roblox error code 277. If you encounter this error again, then come back here and try one of our other solutions.